For about 10-12 years now, I’ve been an Apple guy. I’ve used their laptops, desktops, phones, mice, keyboards, wifi transmitters and wireless backup devices…and just about anything else I could manage to afford or acquire. It’s been a good, solid run. I’ve generally loved using Apple products. I’ve always enjoyed the ease of use the products provide. Granted, the price points of Apple products isn’t always fun, but I strongly believe in the phrase, “You get what you pay for.”
Well, all that said, things are changing for me. It seems to me that Apple is moving in a direction that I’m not a really big fan of. I’ve noticed that as time has gone by that things like quality are slipping a bit. I’ve also noticed that things like malware are becoming more and more common on OSX and iOS devices. I’ve noticed that Apple is creating a very “closed” culture technologically. I’ve also noticed that it doesn’t seem, regardless of their claims, that they’re doing everything better than everyone else. I state it like that in reference to Jobs’ or Forstal’s quote about multi-tasking on the iPhone, which goes something like this, “We’re not the first one’s to do multi-tasking, but we’re doing it the best” or something to that effect.
So, here comes the big bombshell: at the end of the month, I’m ordering an Android device and saying good-bye to my iPhone and Apple as a whole. I will also be transitioning my home computers to Linux machines running Ubuntu. And before you freak out, here are my reasons for doing so:
- I like the idea of using OS’s that are designed by the community FOR the community — meaning, I don’t want some company telling me what I need to have & use. I want more freedom of choice and the ability to use something that’s more open.
- I am sick and tired of reading about Apple and their damn patent lawsuits. It’s ridiculous! Maybe Henry Ford should’ve patented the steering wheel so that no other car could use one…some things are meant to be shared and it only makes the market better for the consumer…something Apple cares little about.
- I’m a hard-core Google user who has everything in my computing life linked in some way to Google…Gmail, Calendar, Play, Plus, etc.
- Android 4.0 (ICS) is just dead sexy. It has so many more features and is incredibly customizable (which I like).
- I’ve chosen a Samsung handset to be my Android device of choice…and so have a lot of others. Love where Samsung is going with mobile technology.
- I’m moving to Linux because it’s safer, affordable, and open source. My computer usage as a consumer has changed drastically. Everything I do is web based for the most part. Don’t need an $1,800 shiny laptop to do everything I love doing on a computer.